The Asian Australian Rainbow Alliance in New South Wales (AAuRA NSW) was the first branch established in mid 2015. The development of AAuRA NSW is the first of it’s kind engaging and mobilising the Asian Australian LGBTIQ community with both the Asian Australian and Australian mainstream society.
Like all the other arms of AAA, AAuRA NSW believes in collective leadership principles in action to pursue common goals in a pure grassroots style.
The group has had two consultation meetings and in the most recent meeting in August, these issues were identified during the consultations:
- Media and Diversity (relevant for all branches of AAA);
- Leadership within the mainstream LGBTQ community;
- Sexual racism (relationships – partners and family);
- Social inclusion (heterosexist, family and domestic violence, cultural, religious discourse);
- Internalised racism (shame to be Asian, community vs individualism, inviting in the concept);
- Celebrate the culture (launch, tell stories);
- Communication and culture of acceptance
(Please check out the campaigns section for updates on the activities of AAuRA NSW)
If you are living in New South Wales and interested in being involved and would like to find out more, please fill in the form on the “Contact Us” page or email the Asian Australian Alliance (AAA) on firstname.lastname@example.org.