The Asian Australian Rainbow Alliance in Victoria (AAuRA VIC) was officially launched on May 7th 2016 during the National Conference/launch. The development of AAuRA NSW is the first of it’s kind engaging and mobilising the Asian Australian LGBTIQ community with both the Asian Australian and Australian mainstream society.
Like all the other arms of AAA, AAuRA VIC believes in collective leadership principles in action to pursue common goals in a pure grassroots style.
The group has had two consultation meetings and in the most recent meeting in August, these issues were identified during the consultations:
- Media and Diversity (relevant for all branches of AAA);
- Leadership within the mainstream LGBTQ community;
- Sexual racism (relationships – partners and family);
- Social inclusion (heterosexist, family and domestic violence, cultural, religious discourse);
- Internalised racism (shame to be Asian, community vs individualism, inviting in the concept);
If you are living in Victoria and interested in being involved and would like to find out more, please fill in the form on the “Contact Us” page or email the Asian Australian Alliance (AAA) on email@example.com.